Moving

One Girls Crazy Outlook on life in Southern Maine



In December 2010 I moved to Southern Maine from a small town next to Bangor (Bangor is right in the center Maine and is one of the largest cities in Maine for those of you wondering if it's in Canada). Here are some crazy stories of outings, hikes, beer and just the general mayhem that is my life. Welcome. Enjoy. Love it.

Monday, March 21, 2011

"Wanna get a TACO?!?"...El Rayo Taqueria



Location: 101 York St, Portland Maine, 04101

Price: $$

El Rayo's was located just two blocks away from where my boyfriend lived when I met him, however, we never really spent much time there because, well, in all honesty, it's a little *ghetto*.
This tiny taqueria, is nothing short of delicious though. Although it is in fact a hole in the wall, the food is wonderful. The burritos are the size of a small infant, and the cocktails are to die for!
The burrito I ordered was called a Frijole Burrito. It consists of organic black beans & cheese with caramelized onions, taquerera salsa, & shredded lettuce. Delicious. However, BEWARE, they charge for every single sauce that you order. When I was there I ended up getting Guacamole, Salsa, and Sour Cream and it ended up costing me $3 just for the sauce. In addition to my Burrito, I ordered a Rice and Bean Bowl that consisted of house made crema fresca & cotija cheese. This in itself would have been a meal. 

The restaurant is separated into an indoor and outdoor eatery in the summer, and just indoors in the winter. This is due to the ridiculous chilliness that takes over this state in the winter time. When we went however, it was August and it was BEAUTIFUL, so we sat outside in the sunshine. We also had some ice cold bud light to cool us down, which made even paying for the additional sauces, worth it.

My boyfriend and I have a running joke for this place. One night, after a "few" drinks, we were walking back to the apartment at two in the morning, and He looked at me completly serious and said, "Wanna get a taco?!?" Just a note, El Rayo is not open at 2 in the morning. :) Maybe you had to be there.

El Rayo Menu



Over all, I would highly recommend El Rayo Taqueria to anyone who loves Mexican, and who is hungry. Make sure you show up with an appitite and a large amount of money, because you will need both. The restuarant is located on York Street in Portland, you can't miss it, there is a blue VW beetle sitting out from thats says "El Rayo." Plus, the building is Yellow.

No comments:

Post a Comment