Moving

One Girls Crazy Outlook on life in Southern Maine



In December 2010 I moved to Southern Maine from a small town next to Bangor (Bangor is right in the center Maine and is one of the largest cities in Maine for those of you wondering if it's in Canada). Here are some crazy stories of outings, hikes, beer and just the general mayhem that is my life. Welcome. Enjoy. Love it.

Friday, March 25, 2011

Fore Street




Location: 288 Fore Street • Portland, Maine 04101


Price: $$$ to $$$$


Let me just start by saying that Fore Street is B.E.A.U.T.I.F.U.L! When looking at the out side of the building though, you may become a slightly skeptical. The restaurant is inside an old abandoned warehouse that has been turned into a very high class place.



When you walk into the restaurant you have two options. You can either go to the left where there is a beautiful bar and couches next to the windows. You have a large wine list and beer selection.





The couches are comfortable and within the view of the bar so that the bar tender is able to see if you need a drink or appetizer plate.


If you want a table on a Friday or Saturday night than it is suggested that you make a reservation. However, even with a reservation you will want to plan on waiting at least 15 minutes. This is fine because the bar is nice and large. When we went to Fore Street, we ended up sitting at the bar where I ordered and Pinot Grigio white wine from France. It was amazing.


(Photos from Fore Street Restaurant Website)

When we were seated we got to walk into the major part of the restaurant. It was simply breathe taking. We were seated at a two person table located on a higher plateau.



We were served a bread basket while waiting for our meals. The bread was fresh out of the oven and amazing. Because our visit to For Street was an anniversary, we decided to go all out. We ordered the Perrier Jouet Brut Champagne... Oh. My. Gosh. This champagne is the sweetest, most delicious champagne that I have ever had. However, watch out for the prices. The entire Bottle was $62, at the grocery store it is $30. If you are out on a date though you really don't care about prices.



The largest part of the room is consumed by an open kitchen where all of the chefs are cooking the most amazing food that I have ever had, but don't expect to get the same things twice. The menu changes everyday.





For an Entree I had the Organic Chicken. It was seasoned in a garlicky, oregano type rub. The chicken was still on the bone, which as a rule I don't really like, but we all make our exceptions. The meat was so incredibly tender that it just fell off the bone and melted in your mouth. The seasoning made it one of the most succulent pieces of chicken I have ever eaten. For a side dish I ordered the mash potatoes with gravy. They were very good minus the fact that they had not been whipped like "mama used to." It all came together to make a meal of epic proportions. with flavors than even I can't describe.



Now for Dessert.... I don't even know where to begin. Let me post a picture of it JUST so you can see what I mean.

EPICNESS  <---- New Word

This was by far one of the most amazing things I have ever ever had in my entire life. the chocolate torte part was a fudgy, cake Constancy that just simply melted in your mouth like a fudgecicle. AMAZING
The Ice cream was a hazelnut flavor that complemented the chocolate torte so incredibly well that I almost ordered another... then I remembered that I am not rich and neither is my boyfriend... this made me a little depressed for a couple days...

Fore street is one of those great places in Old Port Maine that everyone should go to once. Weather it be for a meal or just a drink, the experience of is one of a kind. I would recommend you don't show up in ripped jeans and a tee shirt though because it is definetly upscale.
I would recommend that anyone who goes should have the torte, and start saving your money now.



Fore Street

No comments:

Post a Comment