Moving

One Girls Crazy Outlook on life in Southern Maine



In December 2010 I moved to Southern Maine from a small town next to Bangor (Bangor is right in the center Maine and is one of the largest cities in Maine for those of you wondering if it's in Canada). Here are some crazy stories of outings, hikes, beer and just the general mayhem that is my life. Welcome. Enjoy. Love it.

Monday, March 28, 2011

Binga's Stadium Smokehouse and Sports Bar



Location: 77 Free Street, Portland Maine 04101


Price: $$ - $$$


Let me just start by saying, Binga's has the largest wings that I have ever eaten in my life. That being said, the are also pricey.
Binga's Stadium


When you walk into Bings's, you are greeted by a hostess who seats you in a HUGE area with a bar to the right.
(the following is "borrowed" from the Binga's website)
Binga's Website
Binga's Stadium


The room is then separated into a bunch of different types of seating;

Binga's Stadium

The Superbooth

The Superbooth is our version of a corner party booth. In The Superbooth you’re in the thick of the action in the main dining room, but separated by tall booth walls. It can seat up to 20 and has 4 TVs positioned directly above you. From the far side you can see all the projection TVs in the restaurant. The Superbooth can be reserved for parties of 15 or more with a commitment to pre-purchase food.



Binga's Stadium 

Mile High

The ultimate VIP game-watching experience. Eat, drink and chill in one of 12 first class airline chairs while you watch 5 High Definition Plasma TVs. This room is private and works perfectly for big games or business presentations



Binga's Stadium

Buffalo Ballroom

The Buffalo Ballroom has high ceilings, room for a DJ or band and 3 full bars. We host everything from large weekly dance parties, corporate functions, birthday parties and rehearsal dinners all the way to the draft party for the Maine Red Claws.  The capacity of our lower level space is 300 standing with tables and chairs for 50.  Banquet table rental is available



Binga's Stadium



Upper Deck

When you take-over the Upper Deck you’re in the middle of it while being right above it. This part of the restaurant is perfect for parties of 20 to 40 people who want full, sit-down service as a large group. You have visual access to all the main room has to offer, from a dynamic bar area to huge projection TVs. (Accessible by a small stairway.)



Binga's Stadium

Martini Bar

This section of Binga’s Stadium is the perfect mix of big booths and tables. It’s ideal for any mid-size event, as it’s slightly set apart from the main dining area. This section boasts seating in the heart of the action with the option of private bar service.
This section is only available to rent on weekdays during non-peak hours.



Binga's Stadium

Game Room

Located on our lower level, the Game Room provides you with pool and video games.  This room is available for rent, perfect for a casual, game-filled party, overflow from the Buffalo Ballroom or decompression after a day-long seminar.



Looks like a pretty cool place eh?



My first experience at Binga's was one that I will certainly never forget. It was about 2 weeks after my boyfriend and I had started dating. His best friend came up from Massachusetts for the night so we went to Binga's. I, being way to Cocky, decided that I would tell them that I didn't have a heat tolerance for buffalo wings. MISTAKE. This is when I was introduced to one of the best places to eat in Portland. Binga's Stadium. I was also introduced to one of the hottest wings I have ever eaten... well tried to eat. We decided to start lightly. I ordered a half order (3 Tenders) ($5.99) of the "Spicy Redneck" Chicken Tenders (this was before I would eat any meat with the bone in it). I was told by my boyfriend that these wings were hott and that I would probably get my heat fix by eating them. They were not Hott. However, they my have been hott when he ate them because Binga's makes their own sauces every day.  He then, along with the support of his best friend persuaded me to eat the Chernobyl wings... Jerks. When I ordered them the waitress looked at me like I was crazy. This should have been red flag number one. She then told me that they are very hot... red flag number two. Then, when she brought them out, the smell burned my nose... red flag number three. Being stubborn though I dug right in.  I stuck my finger in the sauce and had a lick. I then proclaimed that it wasn't so bad, and grabbed a fork.... problem. I ate one whole tender... which was a lot because they are HUGE.
I ate one tender... one. And then I preceded to die.
See, the beauty of the Chernobyl wing sauce is that it doesn't hit you until oxygen hits it. So, as soon as I took a break.. it was over. In fact, I'm pretty sure I started breathing fire. The warmth hit my tongue like a fire ball. The waitress, seeing this from across the room, immediately came over with some water. To which I insisted that she bring me some milk, which didn't help. I realized that I would have to and endure the pain of the Chernobyl sauce...great. All of a sudden, while I was sitting there, my stomach started to hurt. Well this made sense. Before this little episode I had already eaten 3 large chicken tenders, downed an 18 oz glass of bud light and was working on my second, had some sweet potato fries, and now one incredibly hot wing that was probably burning the stomach lining out of my stomach and an entire 22 oz glass of milk... oooohhh man! If I had to make a recommendation, I would definitely not recommend an encounter with the Chernobyl. I ended up keeping the wings because at the time of this occurrence I was still living with my Mother and she likes hott things. I took them home to her... she ate one like it was no problem... must have been nice. I will never try these wings again. On that note, although these wings were hotter than hell, they did have a good flavor.

Surprisingly enough, these are not the hottest wings to be found at Binga's stadium. They also have a wing called the '08 fire sauce... I have never tried them, BUT one night that we went, my boyfriend's cousin did.





I simply tapped the sauce with my pinky finger and had a spot literally the size of a pencil eraser... I licked my finger just as my boyfriend, who has tried them, told me not to... it burned SO bad I had to finish off my beer, eat some celery with blue cheese, and have a half of another beer before the burn would go away... He did eat all 6 wings... 

Chernobyl Wings

08' Fire Sauce

 (painful)

 If you don't like hott I wouldn't recommend either the 08' fire sauce of the Chernobyl.



Don't be discouraged though, they also have a large variety of wing sauces that are not hot.

Our Own Sauces

:001: Traditional Buffalo

:002: Hot Buffalo

:005: Diesel

:006: Chernobyl

:006: X 10 ’08 Fire Sauce

:001: Buffalo Garlic

:005: Diesel Garlic

:001: Albany-Style Dark buffalo & worcestershire

Valley Girl Buffalo, BBQ, & Honey Mustard

Redneck Buffalo & Maple

:003: Spicy Redneck

Slugger’s BBQ Find our BBQ at Portland Sea Dogs games!

:004: Diesel BBQ Diesel & BBQ

:001: Thai BBQ Thai Chili & BBQ

Garlic BBQ

:002: K.G.B. Jalapeño Pesto

:002: Blackened Cajun Dry Rub

:005: Hot Mango High-level sweet heat

Sweet and Sour

General Tso’s

:001: Thai Chili

Honey Mustard

PB & J Yes, It’s Peanut Butter & Jelly

:005: Sour Diesel

:001: Buffalo Bacon Nacho

:002: Aroostook blackened caesar

Teri-Yawkee Way

:003: Whassuppy




The number's indicate the warmth of the sauces.



Binga's is such a great experience for anyone. On Wednesday nights they have ladies night and during football season they have Sunday Ticket so you can watch any team you want.

No comments:

Post a Comment